Visions & Values
The Headteacher, Staff and Governors at Putnoe Primary School aim to help all pupils enjoy and achieve. We strive for academic excellence while seeking to provide a balance between academic subjects and the aesthetic, practical, musical and physical activities.
We believe all pupils should have the opportunity to develop those life skills that will raise self-confidence and self-esteem and contribute to their role as responsible citizens.
The success of our mission is focused around the following themes:
- Working together with the wider community
- Seeking continuous improvement and innovation
- Celebrating success and taking pride in our achievements and being responsible for our own actions
We aim to promote:
- A self-evaluative organisation in which all are involved in learning
- High self esteem
- Spiritual and moral awareness
- Enjoyable and independent learning
- Caring individuals
- Readiness for life in the twenty-first century
- The school, as a centre of excellence for learning, providing an exciting, evolving curriculum in which pupils are equipped for life
To achieve these aims we will:
- Provide all children at the school regardless of gender, ethnic or social background, with a secure and caring environment
- Treat all our children with respect, valuing the individual
- Encourage all our children to develop their full potential and reach the highest possible standards in all respects of work and behaviour
- Develop the whole child, not only through the way we structure learning activities but also through the relationships, attitudes and standards of behaviour, which we encourage
- Continue as valued links with the community involving the support and co-operation of our children, parents, staff, governors, the LEA and other external agencies
- Develop every pupil, including those with Special Educational Needs and the More Able child, throughout the statutory curriculum and beyond in order to fulfil individual potential. Talent in any sphere is developed, especially through extra-curricular provision
In particular we will:
- Provide a broad, balanced and stimulating curriculum accessible to all
- Provide a working partnership between school and home
- Encourage our children to be active in their own learning, developing and self-evaluating and a reflective attitude and necessary life skills
- Raise awareness of the needs of others as well as their similarities and differences within a discipline and a pride in themselves, respect for others and for the environment
- Provide equal opportunities and the opportunity to develop respect, tolerance and understanding of the values, attitudes, beliefs, cultures, spiritual and religious practices of our multi-cultural society
- Provide for the development of social attitudes and the skills that our pupils will need to become responsible, adaptable citizens in the future
We recognise that every child has special, individual needs. All achievements are celebrated and built on, whether great or small. Children are highly involved in their own learning, independence and self-motivation are encouraged and pupils are supportive of the efforts of others.
Putnoe Primary is a Values School. It is our Values that determine our thinking and behaviour. At Putnoe Primary School, it is our aim to promote a school ethos which is underpinned by core values. These values support the development of the whole child as a reflective learner within a calm, caring, happy and purposeful environment and are present in every aspect of school life.
The ethos of our school is built on a foundation of 11 core Values which are addressed directly through lessons, assemblies and across the whole curriculum. Each month, we focus on a particular Value. We learn to understand what the Values looks like and how we can demonstrate the Value, in the way we behave, in our attitude towards each other and in our learning.
Parents are encouraged to develop the monthly Value at home. We have a monthly newsletter and homework tasks to help the children share the Value at home. Values champions are chosen each half term for consistently showing the values and the Values Award is given monthly within classes to celebrate children who have shown that month's value.
The 11 Values are taught on a rolling programme, and are outlined below.
- September: Persistency
- October: Tolerance
- November: Respect
- December: Appreciation
- January: Co-operation
- February: Caring
- March: Trust
- April: Patience
- May: Honesty
- June: Politeness
- July: Responsibility
At Putnoe Primary School our values underpin the whole of our community. Our values inform our schools’ vision, aims and ethos. Through our spiritual, moral, social and cultural education, we promote and reinforce the British Values of democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty and mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths.